Varieties of hosting services
A hosting service is related to hoarding and/or sharing certain content on a web server hosted by a web hosting supplier. There are various types of hosting services utilized for different goals, so let's take a gaze at these. In that way, you can choose what you want, depending on whether you'd like to have a web page, e-mail aliases, or to share files with friends and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a solution supplied by some web hosts, which enables you to share huge files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived files, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its only purpose is to share files, since it does not support website uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either get a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to read a table of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to view .html or .php website files in your web browser. Free file hosting packages frequently include ads next to the download links, while a timer compels you to wait for a certain interval of time to observe them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you purchase a paid file hosting package, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download right away, and also there is no restriction with regard to the download speed or the file size.
At present, with the help of the cPanel hosting retailers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more fashionable "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly wrong explanation of the literal definition of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting environment would apportion the load between individual groups of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving various site hosting services (email, disk storage, statistics, DNS, databases, web hosting Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting service is merely a type of a data storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; specific companies offer a hosting solution for pictures only. This hosting type is suitable if you want to share a large number of pics with chums or colleagues since the service is typically free of charge. You will receive a random link for each picture or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be utilized for sites.
- E-mail hosting: a service committed to handling your e-mail address accounts. Some vendors provide web hosting services for sites, but do not provide an e-mail service. If you desire to open an e-mail address with your domain name but do not want to have a web site, then the e-mail hosting service is what you need. You can set up email box accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this service allows you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to some video, or you can embed the video in your website that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of utilizing this method instead of uploading the video in a web hosting account is that the video file brings about a given amount of CPU load, so with a handful of video clips and several hundred web site visitors, you may have a hard time with your website hosting quotas. Embedding the video will enable you to administer as many video files as you want without hassling about system resources.
- Web site hosting: this is the solution that you require if you would like to own a web site. To some extent, it embodies all of the aforesaid hosting brands since, along with your sites, you can also host images and files, you can keep databases and email accounts, upload video files, and so on. At Heartland Web Hosting, for instance, you can have a glance at web hosting and dedicated hosting services that enable you to get all of the aforementioned services in one single place. There may be limitations depending on the kind of hosting service that you've chosen - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web hosting plan may be better or worse in comparison with the customary email/file/video/image hosting packages that are designed for specific web content only.